Dictionary is very useful to find out the meaning of a few words you didn’t understand. Also, some English words may have two different meanings. So if you want to know the meaning of all words there should be the dictionary in your pocket. In the digital world, all the things are converted into the app in your smartphones.
In this article, I will post top 5 English dictionary app or treasures app available in Google Play store. I am going to listing the Offline dictionary which can be convenient use without the internet.
Best 5 English Dictionary Offline App for Android
♦ More than 239000 English definitions and a large number of inflected forms
♦ You can leaf through words using your finger!
♦ Fast search, easy and functional user interface, optimized also for tablets
♦ Bookmarks and search history with option to backup your bookmarks
♦ Crossword help: the symbol ? can be used in place of the single unknown letter. The symbol * can be used in place of any group of letters.
♦ Random search button (shuffle), useful to learn new words
♦ Share word definition using other apps, like Gmail or Whatsapp
♦ Compatible with Moon+ Reader, FBReader and other applications via the share button
♦ Backup&restore configuration and bookmarks on local memory, Google Drive, Dropbox and Box clouds (available only if you have installed these applications on your device)
♦ Camera search via OCR Plugin, available only on Android 4.2 or later devices with the back camera. (Settings-Floating Action Button->Camera). The OCR Plugin has to be downloaded from Google Play.
* New Vocabulary-Building Quizzes: fun, fast quizzes to learn new words or test your vocabulary
* Voice Search: look up a word without having to spell it
* Word of the Day: learn a new word every day.
* Integrated Thesaurus: synonyms & antonyms are included with the dictionary
* Example Sentences: understand how a word is used in the context
* Quick Definitions: perfect for on-the-go lookups
* Audio Pronunciations: voiced by real English speakers, not text-to-speech robots
* Favorite Words and Search History: Keep track of the words that are most important to you
* For Tablets: Scrolling Index – lets you browse the entire dictionary
The comprehensive WordWeb dictionary database includes:
– 285,000 words, phrases, and derived forms
– 225,000 words sense definitions
– 70,000 usage examples
– 85,000 text pronunciations
– Synonyms, similar and related words
– N. American, British, Australian and international English
The intelligent word entry suggests possible correct spellings as you type, as well as listing words that sound the same or are often confused.
Additional features include the ability to drill down on any word in a definition, full bookmark support, and history.
Search features include:
– Alphabetical listing
– Spelling suggestions
– Sounds-like and often-confused
– Fast pattern-matching search
– Filter search results by noun, verb, adjective, adverbs
The database includes proper nouns and common abbreviations in addition to English vocabulary (e.g. LOL, Oxford, ROFL, Webster, UNHCR, etc.)
Dictionary.com is the leading free English dictionary app for Android – with over 2,000,000 definitions and synonyms. The #1 free dictionary app is handy for education, learning new vocabulary every day, and the advanced word lover and the English language student alike.
Easily search definitions and synonyms offline by installing the offline dictionary. You can access the offline dictionary anytime and anywhere – you do not need an internet connection. Voice search and audio pronunciation require a connection.
In addition to the trusted reference content from Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, this app includes more features than you might expect:
• Word of the Day – expand your vocabulary and challenge yourself daily
• Audio pronunciation – increase confidence in English and never mispronounce another word
• Voice search – conveniently speak to search a word without having to spell it
• Articles – explore hundreds of fun topics on language, grammar, and words in the wild
• Slideshows – learn fascinating facts about language
• Favorite words and search history – never forget the words you learn and save words for future reference
• Word origin – discover interesting etymologies for even the strangest words
• Local lookups – see which words are being searched near you or by location
• Spelling suggestions – not sure how a word is spelled? Spell check in the app will help
• Advanced learner’s dictionary – special content for ESL, EFL and English learners
• Translator – get translations for over 30 languages
The Oxford Dictionary of English is a mobile dictionary with content from Oxford University Press, with advanced search and language tools that have become the staple of quality language apps from MobiSystems.
Ideal for professionals, students, and academics, as well as anyone who needs a comprehensive and authoritative dictionary of current English at work or at home.
SEARCH TOOLS – effortlessly find words thanks to a clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface.
Intelligent search integrates several tools to match or suggest what you are looking for:
• Search autocomplete helps find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type
• Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases
• An automatic? Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as Wildcard’ (‘*’ or ‘?’) to replace a letter or entire parts of a word
• Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results
• Share word definitions via installed apps on your device
LEARNING TOOLS – engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary.
• Favorites’ feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library
• Recent’ list to easily review looked-up words
• Word of the day’ section to expand your vocabulary daily
• Home screen widget provides random words at a glance
• *NEW* Split-screen support for Android 7 allowing you to use dictionary together with other apps